OpenMeter is an Open Source Metering service for AI, Usage-Based Billing, Infrastructure, and IoT use-cases.
With the growing integration of AI capabilities and usage-based pricing components in modern products, metering, attributing, and analyzing usage are crucial for ensuring profitability per customer.
Accurate real-time processing of large volumes of events is pivotal for billing and data-intensive applications. The challenges include:
- Cost: Database writes at scale can be expensive.
- Accuracy: Metrics systems may not provide the needed accuracy due to sampling.
- Latency: Periodic batch processing in data warehouses can introduce latency.
Watch our video on how to quickstart with OpenMeter.
Discover how to implement usage-based billing with OpenMeter and Stripe:
OpenMeter leverages stream processing. It's written in Go and uses:
- the CloudEvents format to describe usage,
- Kafka to ingest events,
- and ClickHouse to dedupe and aggregate meters.1
OpenMeter provides a REST API for integrations.
Additional streaming platforms will be supported in the future. ↩